The first and second editions of Medical and Veterinary Entomology, edited by Gary R. Mullen and Lance A. Durden, published in 2002 and 2009, respectively, have been highly praised and become widely used as a textbook for classroom instruction.
Medical and Veterinary Entomology 3rd Edition
This fully revised third edition continues the focus on the diversity of arthropods affecting human and animal health, with separate chapters devoted to each of the taxonomic groups of insects and arachnids of medical or veterinary concern, including spiders, scorpions, mites, and ticks. Each chapter includes sections on taxonomy, morphology, life history, and behavior and ecology, with separate sections on those species of public-health and veterinary importance.
Each concludes with approaches to management of pest species and prevention of arthropod-borne diseases. The third edition provides a comprehensive source for teaching medical and/or veterinary entomology at the college and university level, targeted particularly at upper-level undergraduate and graduate/postgraduate programs. In addition to its value as a student textbook, the volume has appeal to a much broader audience, specialists and non-specialists alike. It provides a key reference for biologists in general, entomologists, zoologists, parasitologists, physicians, public-health personnel, veterinarians, wildlife biologists, vector biologists, military entomologists, the general public and others seeking a readable, authoritative account on this important topic.
- Completely revised and updated edition
- Includes a distinguished group of 40 nationally and internationally recognized contributors
- Sixteen new authors, in addition to 25 continuing contributors from the first and second editions
- A new chapter on Arthropod Toxins and Venoms
- Illustrated with 560, mostly color, figures and updated maps depicting the distribution of important arthropod taxa and arthropod-borne diseases
- A significantly expanded and well-illustrated chapter on Molecular Tools Used in Medical and Veterinary Entomology
- Coverage of emerging and newly recognized arthropod concerns, including mosquito-borne Zika and
- Chikungunya viruses; tick-borne Bourbon and Heartland viruses; tick-borne rickettsioses and anaplasmosis; and red meat allergy associated with tick bites
- A 1700-word Glossary
- An Appendix of Arthropod-Related Viruses of Medical and Veterinary Importance
|Get Hard Copy (Buy)||Download eBook|